COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Advisory: If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms, please contact your primary care physician, 68Nurse or the BasinMD app to seek guidance.  
For more information and resources regarding COVID-19, visit midlandhealth.org/COVID-19. For vaccine information, visit midlandhealth.org/vaccine.


Midland County COVID-19 Statistics         Hospital COVID-19 Statistics   *Last updated on  12/8/2021 at  10:21 AM

Midland Memorial Foundation History

1945

The Chamber of Commerce's committee recommended that a charitable non-profit corporation, to be called Midland Memorial Foundation, be formed to solicit contributions for the purpose of building and operating a hospital. Twenty-five Midland citizens were selected to serve on what is now the Board of Governors. Funded by a private donation and a government and built on 7 acres of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. E.P Cowden and Mr. and Mrs. Clinton M Dunagan, ground was broken for the hospital in 1948. Population of Midland County: 14,000. 

October 2020

1950

Midland Memorial Hospital, a four-story 75-bed facility, opened on July 11.
Total Cost: $1,125,00
Population of Midland County: 421,713

October 2020

1955

$150,000 was raised to pay off outstanding obligations. The Midland County Commissioners Court and Midland City Council entered into long-term leases that made the financing of a new wing possible, coupled with another grant from the from the federal government. 

October 2020

1958

An air conditioned $800,000 east wing expansion brought the total beds to 150. 

Population of Midland County: 50,600. 

October 2020

1963

The 4th floor of the east wing was added to house surgery and intensive care. Bed Capacity increased to 178. The original hospital building was air conditioned. 

Population: 62,625. 

October 2020

1973

Phase 1 of a two-phase expansion (70,000) square feet) on the west end of the hospital was completed, housing surgery, labor and delivery, radiology, emergency room, purchasing, cafeteria, kitchen and medical records. The cost of $3.7 million was raised from private donations.

Population of Midland County: 66,400. 

October 2020

1977

Midland County Hospital District was formed to levy an ad valorem tax in Midland County to provide for Indigent and uncompensated care and capital projects for the hospital. A $10 million bond was passed and a west expansion program was started, financed by the first of only two general obligation bonds issues in the hospital's story. This bond was paid off in 1997. 

Population of Midland County: 76,200. 

October 2020

1979

Phase 2 of the west expansion was completed, adding a new maturity wing and a critical care unit, and relocating the cardiopulmonary department. Private bathrooms were added to the 1950's building by placing the plumbing on the outside of the building and covering it with a stucco façade. 

October 2020

1988

A 3rd and 4th floor were added to the west expansion providing additional medical-surgical beds and a new obstetrics floor. New business offices, admitting, lobby and staff offices were completed, a $15.1 million project. 

Total Beds: 272. 
Population of Midland County: 106,493. 

October 2020

1994

The north expansion changed the face of the hospital and added almost 100,000 square feet for surgical facilities and support services, including the emergency department, laboratory and the Testing Diagnostic Center.

Population of Midland County: 112,837

October 2020

2012

The Dorothy and Clarence Scharbauer, Jr. Tower opened in December. The Tower included 9 floors (expandable to 10,237), large private inpatient rooms, a new energy efficient central plant, expanded the Emergency Department, new operating rooms, and a new kitchen and cafeteria. Labor and Delivery and pediatrics moved from the West campus to Scharbauer Tower. The tower was financed by a $115 million general obligation bond (only the second in the hospital's history) and $5 million in private donations. 

Population of Midland County: 136,872.

October 2020